Saturday, June 17, 2017

Becoming a Baptist

In 2003, I married a southern baptist.  Being completely honest, he wasnt exactly going to church at the time so I didnt think it would ever matter to me.  No way was I becoming a Baptist.  I was raised Missouri Synod Lutheran.  I knew my Luther's small catechism backwards and forwards.  I knew about the 95 thesis and the Diet of Worms.  I knew about closed communion and women not being able to speak from the pulpit.   Nate and I compromised initially at an evangelical church in Davenport, Iowa.  I was relatively happy there.  They had great kids programs and they sang the hymns that I was familiar with.  The Evangelical Lutherans do not take the bible literally which was sort of strange to me.  In 2009, our kids were 4,2, and 6 months.  Iowa was COLD.  Iowa was bad for Isaacs skin.  Nate felt his contract would be rebid to another company.  So I told him we could move south as LONG as we stayed in the central time zone.  He soon found a great job in Huntsville, AL.

Nate had to house hunt without me.  I picked out the houses and he went looking.  The first house he visited, I had written "too much money" and "looks ugly from the front"  Nate took one step inside and knew this was the house for us.  He passed on it because I said it was too expensive.  The very next morning, the builder had lowered the cost by $15,000.  We jumped on it.   Nate called me after looking at it again and said Sue," At the end of the subdivision, there is a Mount Zion Baptist Church. A Baptist church!"  
"ha ha ha.  NO WAY will I go to a baptist church hon.  Nice try"

So we move in on October 31, 2009.  Every time we drive by the church, Nate says- man I bet thats a great church.  It was SO ANNOYING.  But then we had a problem.  I could not find any openings in any pre-k for Isaac!  Oh no.  I was so upset.  The very next time I went to a Pampered Chef party in my neighborhood.  My new next door neighbor Heather took me.  I was glad to meet some other moms.  In walks 10 months pregnant Sara- the host.  I was chatting and mentioned I couldnt find a pre-k for Isaac.  She told me Mount Zion had a great program and I should call up there.  (Great, Mount Zion again.  yuck I thought)

The next Monday I called and sure enough, there was a spot for Isaac in pre-k.  Luke could go two days and Libby could even go a day at 7 months old!   I must say I loved this school.  I loved our teachers.  I found most of my present day friends through the pre-school.They encouraged me to join.  Over my dead body!- I used to say.  I will never come to church here.  I didnt even care if I was insulting to them.  I scoffed at their kindness.  I made fun of them for not swearing.  I couldnt BELIEVE they didnt drink alcohol!!!!

We found a great big giant church that was methodist about 5 miles away.  In my mind, methodist was a great compromise for nate and I.  We really did like it there.  We loved the preacher.  They had a good VBS.  But did we meet anyone there? NOPE   Did we connect?  NOPE  Did we meet any friends? NOPE    I used to think it was hilarious that we only went to church every other week.

When Isaac finished kindergarten, Mount Zion was having a New York themed VBS.  I knew he HAD to go.  So I signed my kids up and I volunteered at a floater.  Ever feel like a giant outsider?  yeah. thats how I felt,  I dont blame anyone, I probably shouldered most of the blame but I didnt fit in.  When I drop something on my toe, I scream shit.  I swear when Im happy, I swear when Im mad.  After a long day, I drink a beer.  Or three.  The absolute worst was when Isaacs VBS teachers had him fill out a card that he wanted to be baptized.  Didnt these yahoos know HE WAS BAPTIZED?  At 10 weeks old!  In our family gown. I pulled Isaac and told him not to let any of these crazy baptists tell him he wasnt baptized and he wasnt a Christian!!!I stomped out of there feeling left out and angry.  Why couldnt these baptists just be happy we came to their stupid VBS?  What do they want from us?

Of course I kept my kids at the preschool because it was at the end of our subdivision and I was lazy.......As our kids grew older, they grew less happy at the methodist church.  Our oldest was in 1st grade and he didnt know anyone from school.  he would cry every Sunday.  He hated going to church.  It broke my heart.  That summer, he went to VBS at Mount Zion (knowing full well he WAS baptized already) and he went at the methodist church.  He cried every day at the methodist church.   So I cried out to God!  WHY GOD!  Why are you pointing me to the church I do NOT want to go to?  All of Isaac and Luke's friends attended Mount Zion as did Libbys very best friend.  As did my best friend.  Fine.  I said to my husband- you visit.  I taught kindergarten Sunday School at the other church and I had to finish another week.  Nate went and LOVED it.  Of course, right?  He only wanted to go there for 3 years since he saw the sign.

The next week I planned to go.  So......how do I do this?  Can I slip in unnoticed?  Id only told half of the 1500 member congregation Id never step foot in the church.  I gingerly walked in and found a seat with friends.  And let me tell you my SHOCK that baptist go to church for 2 hours.  One hour of Sunday School and one hour of church.  Oh hell no I said.  (I literally said that!!!!)  I wanted to spend one hour at church every week and not a second more.  Its so crazy now because Sunday School is my very favorite.  I get so much out of it and that is where relationships are formed.  So we are going and going and the preacher asked me several times to get baptized.   OH NO YOU DIDNT!   How can I be baptized AGAIN?  I cant.  I wont.  Nope.  Not me.   Well after Christ worked on my heart.....maybe I can do it.  After I wanted to serve and vote and really understood why I needed to be baptized.....maybe.  I knew it was a form of obedience.  But I also knew what Id told my children.  you.must.not.be.rebaptized.period.the.end.   One Sunday- I was wearing a red sweater.  I had no plans to go forward and join the church.  And hymn 529 was being sung.  Change my Heart Oh God.  I elbowed Nate and said Im going forward.  I want to be baptized.  "WHAT?  No not today.  what Sue?"     I felt overcome.  I didnt know why or what other than the music touched me and dang, it I was going to join this Mount Zion church and be baptized.  I turned and faced the crowd and was crying.  My friends in the church were crying.  I think the minister even had a tear on his cheek.  The people of Mount Zion, inspired by God had worked on my heart.  The Spirit worked on my heart.   People throw the word church family around.  This is a church family .  They love you before they love you!   I have so much more to say and write but my left hand is killing me and the kids want to go to the pool.  God is real.  Look around.  Listen.  Let people love you.  Im so glad i did!

No comments:

Post a Comment