Wednesday, May 9, 2012

advice to new moms

Here is my top 3 pieces of advice for new moms:

1. teach your child how to fall asleep on their own.  It is one of the best gifts you can give a child.  The security and self confidence to roll over, fluff their pillow and go back to sleep.  This can be done as early as 6 months.  I have countless friends who still sleep with their kids.  For those that dont mind it- fine...I am not speaking to you.  But most really want to reclaim their night.  Sleep with their spouse- or not on the couch with a kid.  Sleeping with your kid doesnt mean you love them more. None of my children have an attachment disorder.  Not yet at least.  A little crying for a night or two didnt do any harm.  Put down the Dr Sears book (who I disagree with) and pick up the Ferber book.  No one bothers us in the middle of the night.  Ever.  We have one bad dream a year- maybe.  It is a beautiful thing.

2. Feeding.  why would anyone feed their baby fruit first?  I have always wondered this and kept my mouth shut.  You feed the CRAPPY tasting stuff first.  Start with green vegetables.  Peas, green beans.  I still think peas taste like garbage.  I would much rather something sweet.  If you start the palate bland, they dont know the difference.  I swear my kids eat vegetables because I made them eat vegetables for 2 months straight before giving any fruit.  If you can afford- fresh is best.  I always gave my kids canned vegetables and now that is all they will eat.  Sure they are contaiminated by aluminum or bpa.....mistake made and acknowledged.

3. Dont let your kid hit you.  When they do it in public it looks bad.  Really bad.  Take all measures to nip that in the bud.  I dont even find a cute slap in the face at 9 months funny.  

That will conclude this topic for the night.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Nuttymommy!! Loving your blog and your thoughts. You're so funny and real. Keep it coming. : )

    ReplyDelete